How to take outstanding vacation rental photos
When marketing your home as a desirable vacation getaway, the photos you offer potential clients will be the most influential information you’ll provide. Vacationers cannot possibly imagine themselves feeling comfortable in a home that looks dark and shabby. The good news is you don’t have to be a professional to take fantastic, high-quality pictures of your vacation rental. Follow these tips and your home will look its best in every shot.
Show your home in its best light
No matter how grand or humble your abode may be, the right lighting will highlight its best features.
• Always keep blinds and shades open. You may think sunlight is too bright, but rooms with closed blinds appear small and uninviting.
• Take photographs at dawn and at dusk when natural light appears softer.
• Give the natural light coming into your home a boost by turning on the lamps and other light sources around your home.
• Make sure there are no flash reflections in your photographs. Take one picture with the flash off and one with the flash on. Compare the two and decide which looks best.
The spacing of furniture and how it’s placed in the room is important. Thoughtful furniture spacing lets you determine if your home will appear cozy or grand based on the market you’re trying to reach.
• Don’t hesitate to move furniture for the photographs.
• Consider gaining a higher angle for pictures by standing on a ladder or chair.
• Be sure you’re taking horizontal photos. This will allow more of the room to be included in the frame.
• Imagine the photo as having four equal parts. Try to feature something of interest in three of the four parts.
Set the scene
This is where you can have some fun staging your vacation rental.
• Clear out the clutter. You love your table ornaments, but they hold no special meaning for potential clients. Clear counters and tabletops of all trinkets and papers. You can put your decorations back out as soon as the photos are taken.
• Set an inviting table with colorful dishes and a vase of flowers. Travelers will be able to easily imagine themselves having a relaxing meal in your home.
• Make sure all TV and computer screens are turned off and that there are no people within the frame of the photo.
• You don’t have to reserve fresh flowers for the dining room. Place them throughout the house for a burst of fresh color.
• Plump up and arrange cushions and throw pillows on sofas and beds.
• If you have a fireplace, light a fire. It will add a charming glow to your photos.